War memorial almost lost forever as wartime researchers struggle to find it a new home.
The memorial is a rectangular wooden board which has supporting pillars and a cornice. The Coat of Arms is at the top with the names of those who fell listed below it. The inscription reads “1914 Roll of Honour 1919/ Amicita Amor Et Veritas/ Members who have made the/ Supreme sacrifice.” Listed are the names of the 83 who served, 10 of whom sadly died and 73 who returned.
The Regiments and Corps named on the Roll of Honour are listed below;
– Army Ordinance Corps (AOC)
– Army Service Corps (ASC)
– Army Service Corps (motor transport) (ASC (mt))
– Coldstream Guards (CG)
– Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding Regiment) (D of W (WR))
– Durham Light Infantry (DLI)
– East Lancashire Regiment (EL)
– East Yorkshire Regiment (EY)
– King’s Liverpool Regiment (KL)
– Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (KOYLI)
– Labour Corps (Lab C)
– Machine Gun Corps (MGC)
– North Staffordshire Regiment (N. Staff)
– Northumberland Fusiliers (NF)
– Royal Air Force (RAF)
– Royal Engineers (RE)
– Royal Engineers Signals (RE Signals)
– Royal Field Artillery (RFA)
– Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA)
– Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) (BW (RH))
– Royal Scot’s Fusiliers (RSF)
– Royal Scots (RS)
– Royal Warwickshire Regiment (RW)
– South Staffordshire Regiment (S. Staff)
– The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment) (SR)
– West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales Own) (WY)
– York and Lancaster Regiment (Y&L)
– Yorkshire Hussars (YH)
Measuring 2.2x2m finding a new home for the war memorial was not an easy task, including its relocation by which it was proudly carried down the main street to its new location as the van was too small. Transferred by The Men of Worth Project C.I.C.
into the custodianship of The Wyedean Weaving Co. Ltd
, who together with the War Memorials Trust
jointly funded its repair and conservation.
As suppliers of ceremonial parade wear and accoutrement to the UK Ministry of Defence, Wyedean is a perfect choice, also allowing it to stay in its hometown Haworth. Even though the Roll of Honour’s new location is only a few hundred yards away from its original site, it was Crest Regalia, a long term customer of Wyedean’s based on the Isle of Wight that read Men of Worth’s blog seeking a new home for the memorial and put Wyedean and Men of Worth in touch. Without this intervention the Roll of Honour may well have been lost, along with many other war memorials which cannot be rehoused and end up being discarded, lost, unloved or broken.
Several of the family names listed on the Roll of Honour will be recognisable to many in the Keighley and the Worth Valley area. It is a tremendous memorial full of history, symbology and ideals which has been saved for future generations to admire and cherish.
Following Remembrance Sunday and 100 years since Armistice Day, a rededication service will be held on the 14th day of November 2018 (by invitation only). After the service, Wyedean will be holding an Open Day where the War Memorial will be available for public viewing. Please note this is by prior appointment only as there is limited spaces. Wyedean is one of the few remaining working textile mills and will be relocating to a purpose built premises next year.
Tours will be available on the day by prior appointment only. Contact Karen on 01535 643077 or email@example.com