Wyedean was previously known as Dalton Barton, the names of two Coventry ribbon weavers: Robert Dalton and George Barton, who formed a partnership in 1851. This partnership later diversified into the manufacture of coach lace and upholstery trimmings and the company then won orders to supply the newly-formed Australian railways with tape to join moquette seat covering, which proved to be a great boost to the firm. David Wright joined the company in 1959 and was given the responsibility of further developing the business and increasing its product scope. His first major decision was a location change, moving the company away from Coventry where there was extremely high competition for labour. Newly situated in Coleford, Somerset, it was here where Dalton Barton was also rebranded as Wyedean Weaving. But many people ask – why Wyedean? Well, the new location at Coleford was situated between the River Wye and the Forest of Dean, thus inspiring – Wyedean Weaving. Of course the “Weaving” part [...]
In 2001 the Duke of Kent came to visit Wyedean. It was a great honour for the company to receive a Royal Visit, which was also attended by many local dignitaries. The Duke of Kent was given a tour around the factory by Managing Director, Robin Wright and was able to see many items in production such as waist sashes, which he himself has worn for events such as the Queen’s Birthday Parade. This special occasion was the first Royal Visits to Wyedean, and has recently followed by a visit from HRH Princess Anne in 2015.