Wyedean manufactures a wide variety of webbings for many different applications
Wyedean manufactures narrow fabric webbing in a wide range of compositions, colours, styles and widths. From as narrow as 2mm wide, right up to 120mm, our webbing range is diverse, versatile and practical, and suitable for use in many different applications.
The company supplies webbing in long or short runs of polypropylene, cotton, polyester, jute, worsted/wool and nylon for use in industrial, agricultural, or leisure applications. Wyedean also supplies more advanced technical textile webbing such as kevlar, meta-aramid and para-aramid for use in specialist applications.
Polypropylene webbing is a popular, general-purpose webbing used in industry and leisure for a variety of applications. Polypropylene webbing can be used for handles and strapping on backpacks and rucksacks, tents, marquees and camping equipment, as well as sailing, equestrian and load carriage equipment.
Wyedean’s in-house manufactured polypropylene webbing has the following properties:
- Available in a wide range of colours and sizes from 2mm to 120mm
- Cost effective to produce in large quantities
- Strong and robust up to 7g/den
- Made from thin multi-filament yarn
- Easy to sew, rivet and eyelet
- Has good resistance to abrasion and chemicals
- Is difficult to ignite and burn slowly withstanding temperatures up to around 160°C
- Performs well in low temperatures actually increasing in strength and reducing in elongation
- Has excellent resistance to sunlight making it perfect for outdoor use
Polyester webbing is a versatile webbing that is typically used for binding or strapping in the automotive and medical industries. Polyester shares a lot of similarities with polypropylene webbing in terms of features, but differs in its chemical make-up being instead made from polyethylene terephalate fibres.
Wyedean’s polyester webbings have the following features:
- Extremely strong and tenacious up to 10g/den
- Have excellent resistance to abrasion
- Are able to withstand high temperatures up to around 180°C before melting at around 260°C
- Are difficult to ignite. Tightly woven structures do not burn easily.
- Are resistance to sunlight making them perfect for outdoor use
- Can be dyed to most shades and have excellent colour-fastness properties
Polyethylene webbing, or as it’s more commonly known as, Courlene webbing, is a hard-wearing, rigid narrow-fabric commonly used to make belts for ceremonial military uniforms for marching bands. Courlene webbing is renowned for its strength and durability but can still easily be cut using strong, sharp scissors.
Wyedean’s Polyethylene/Courlenes webbings have the following features:
- A man-made polyethylene/polymer
- Made from thick mono-filament yarn
- Strong, rigid and versatile
- Used by many military marching bands and units
- Available in a variety of colours and widths
- Can be supplied with courlene webbing belt loops
Nylon webbing is typically used for military applications in either IRR (infra-red reflective) and non IRR versions. Nylon is mainly used in the manufacture of PLCE (Personal Load Carriage Equipment), military clothing, camping equipment, slings, personal protective equipment and helmets.
Wyedean’s nylon webbing has the following properties:
- High resistance to alkalis
- A melting point of above 200°C, up to as high as 250°C
- Good resistance to low strength acids
- Excellent elasticity
- Extremely durable with a long life
- Performs well in low temperatures
- Excellent ultra violet (UV) resistance
Cotton webbing is a softer tape, very often manufactured in a herringbone pattern, that is usually used for more casual decorative applications such as apparel or upholstery. Its strength and versatility means it’s perfect for use in binding, drawstrings, aprons, quilt binding and bunting.
Wyedean’s cotton webbings have the following properties:
- Increased strength when wet, up to 3-5g/denier
- Good moisture resistance and can absorb some water without feeling damp
- Cotton is flexible and versatile and can be dyed to almost any shade
- Cotton is self extinguishing and can withstand elevated temperatures up to about 120°C
- Resistance to weak acids but broken down by stronger ones
- Very resistant to alkalis which means it stands up to repeated washing
Jute webbing is made from a long, soft, shiny vegetable fibre spun into coarse strong threads and is generally used in modern and traditional upholstery as a support for springs or stuffover seats.
Wyedean’s jute webbings are:
- Very strong
- Can be dyed to most shades
- Very flexible
- Cheap to produce in large quantities
- 100% natural
- 100% biodegradable
Meta-aramid and para-aramid webbings are suitable for use in industries where they will be exposed to extremely harsh conditions such as high temperatures, low temperatures, fire, chemicals, gas
Wyedean’s meta and para aramid webbings have the following features:
- Best-in-class heat resistance up to 400°C
- Do not significantly decompose or carbonate down to -350°C
- Corrosion resistant
- Cut and penetration resistance
- Space and weight saving
- Creep resistance
Similarly to our ranges of aramid webbing, Wyedean also manufactures Kevlar® webbing which is a key component in protective, flame-resistant clothing and equipment used for aerospace, military, blue-light services such as Fire, Ambulance and Police as well as tactical and industrial safety equipment. Kevlar®webbing is appropriate for scenarios where the protection is required against physical, electrical, heat, chemical, biohazard and other airborne particulates.
Wyedean’s Kevlar®webbing has the following properties:
- Excellent tensile strength of 23g/den
- High Abrasion resistance
- High cut resistance
- A melting point of 427°
- Resistance to chemical solvents
- Mould and mildew resistance
- No-melt, no-drip
Wyedean also manufactures a range of specialist narrow tapes, braids and webbing for use on items of clothing. As military uniform specialists, the company supplies metallic trouser striping, uniform piping, cap braids and decorative trim for ceremonial jackets, but it’s also capable of producing webbing, braids and trim for a variety of commercial applications.
- Trouser Striping
- Cap Braid
- Uniform Piping
- Decorative Trim
- Elastic for braces or hems
- Cuff or sleeve decoration
Wyedean has the machinery, experience and know-how required to produce a huge variety of different webbings in many different shades and materials. From typical general-purpose webbing to more specialised industrial webbing manufactured from technical textile fibres, our knowledgeable staff are equipped to deal with any enquiry.